inflatable boat

Inflatable boats, kayaks, accessories and products for inflatable boats, accessories for powerboats, sailboats yachts, and more.


Arches, Frames, Towers
Bouncer Trampolines
Canoes - Inflatable
Covers - Inflatables
Davits - Inflatable Boat
Dinghy Davits
Dinghy Launch Wheels
Engine Covers
Engine Brackets
Engine Carry Cases
Engine Jack Plates
Engine Mounts
Inflatable Bouncers
Inflatable Boats
Inflatable Canoes
Inflatable Kayaks
Inflatable Boat Davits
Inflatable Boat Paint
Inflatable Boat Parts
Inflatable Boat Sealant
Inflatable Seating
Inflatable Storage Bags
Inflatable Tow Sleds
Inflatable Towables
Inflatable Trampolines
Jack Plates
Keel Guard Strips
Launching Wheels
Motor Carry Cases
Motor Covers
Motor Mount Brackets
Outboard Cases
Outboard Covers
Outboard Motor Mounts
Paint - Inflatable Repair
Planing Fins
Propeller Guards
Repair Paint Inflatables
Rigid Inflatable Boats
Sealant for Inflatables
Seating & Consoles
Steering Systems
Stabilizers for Engines
Storage Bags
Tilt Trim Systems
Tenders for Yachts
Towables - Inflatables
Trim Tab Lights
Wakeboard Racks
Wakeboard Speakers
Wakeboard Towers
Water Bouncers
Water Sleds
Yacht Tenders - Quality Inflatable Boats



November 11, 2003

Inflatable boat glossary of words and terms

  • ANCHOR FAIRLEAD: device that provides chafe protection on the bow of the boat and through which the anchor rode is lead.
  • BENCH SEAT: rigid plank on which to sit while rowing.
  • BILGE PUMP: electric pump to remove water from the hull.
  • BOLT ROPE (or flange): a flap of material containing a section of rope which is used to slide into a slot in the hull to hold a buoyancy tube in place (also used in a similar manner for attaching seat cushions).
  • BOTTOM OF THE HULL: The part of the hull that's under water. Its form is a determining feature in the boat's navigation capacity.
  • CAVITATION: a situation when the propeller gets air or insufficient bite in the water and loses its power. Can happen due to motor mounted too high, seas conditions and tight turns.
  • CHOPPY WATER: Agitated sea due to waves and wind coming from different directions.
  • COATING: interior and exterior covering of fabric by a flexible sub- stance. The interior layer assures air tightness, the exterior insures resistance to abrasion.
  • COCKPIT: the area of the boat occupied by passengers. Floor drains provide for removing accumulated water.
  • CONE REINFORCEMENT: rigid caps that provide protection for the ends of the buoyancy tubes.
  • DECITEX: weight measurement of the thread that constitutes the textile strength.
  • DECK: a horizontal platform on which you may stand. Large boats may have numerous decks.
  • D-RING: A ring whose metal part is D-shaped. Used especially when beaching and towing.
  • FLOOR: a surface on which you may stand. Floors may be slats in fabric sleeves, interlocking or hinged sections of wood, aluminum or composite materials, or fiberglass as in Ribs.
  • HAND RAILING: profited grab rail for passengers to hold on to while navigating.
  • KEEL: (for a foldable boat) the inflatable lengthwise part found under the boat, between the boat bottom and the floor. The inflatable keel is a supplementary safety compartment.
  • LACING CUFF: a flap of material (usually positioned on top of the tube) through which life lines are lead. Lacing cuffs frequently act as upright reinforcements for the buoyancy tube.
  • LIFE LINE: line around the boat to help passengers keep steady while navigating and when boarding.
  • MOTOR BRACKET: physical part of the boat to which the engine is mounted.
  • MOTOR SHAFT: That part of an engine that goes from below the motor head to the propeller. This height is variable for a given horsepower, it can be short, long, or extra long.
  • OARLOCK: U-shaped, circular or other shape which holds the oar and secures it to the buoyancy tube permitting movement for rowing.
  • PLANE: Transitory phase during which the boat goes from pushing the water at low speed to sliding over it. Usually this phase is accompanied by porpoiseing as the boat overtakes its own bow wave.
  • PRESSURE GAUGE: measuring instrument that indicates the level of air pressure in the buoyancy tube.
  • RUBBING STRAKE: Composition of resistant flexible lateral bands that protect the boat from damage caused by rubbing (ie. against the dock).
  • SELF BAILER: device that permits accumulated water to exit the boat, while not permitting water to enter the boat. Usually, a plug wilt he used to close the self bailer when the boat is at rest, anchored or not operational.
  • STRINGER: aluminum lengthwise bars that lock the floorboard elements in place when mounted on the boat (foldable boats).
  • TILLER ARM: a lever with controls used to steer and throttle an outboard motor when a remote helm station is not used.
  • TRANSOM: structural component of the hull of the boat on which the motor or motor bracket is mounted.
  • TRIM TABS/TRIM FLAPS: extension of the bottom of the hull beyond the transom that aids in stability and planing.
  • WATER EVACUATION PLUG: found at lowest part of hull's stern. It permits water to evacuate from inside the hull (boat out of the water).


About The Author:
T. Chevrier is a successful author and publisher of several online articles in the inflatable boat industry for

For more information on inflatable boats, or to choose from a variety of related products and services, choose from the following:

Bookmark Site



Follow us on:

Featured Boat Product

Related Information

Add your products to our site?

Great Products +
Low Prices +
Great Service =
An enjoyable buying experience and savings
for you

Customer Services

E-mail Us
Your Questions:
E-mail us Now

Call Toll Free at:


Join Our
Mailing List
E-mail us Now

Related Websites

A name you can trust

All Boat Products
A wide variety

Custom Motorcycle Products
Lots of info and parts

Sea Eagle Sport Runabout Transom Boat 

Copyright - All Rights Reserved